Collection
Museum Tinguely

Collection of Museum Tinguely

Works and work groups belonging to all phases of Jean Tinguely’s career are to be found in the museum's collection. Along with selected temporary loans, they afford the visitor an extensive view of the artist’s career. Apart from sculptures, the collection furthermore comprises a large number of drawings and letter-drawings, documents, exhibition posters, catalogues and documentation such as photographs. In the measure of the possible all the exhibits are accessible to the public and regularly shown, be it in the permanent collection or as loans to exhibitions worldwide.

The museum’s collections are the result of a generous donation by the artist’s widow, Niki de Saint Phalle, made on the occasion of its foundation, a donation of works from the Roche collection, as well as several other gifts and acquisitions.

>> Biography of Jean Tinguely

>> History of the collection

Online collection

The following applies for uses of pictures in relation to our collection:
Museum Tinguely does not own any copyright in works by Jean Tinguely or other artists in the collection. The clarification of these rights and payment in respect of them is a matter for the applicant. In Switzerland, the collecting society responsible for this is ProLitteris, Zurich (link website: www.prolitteris.ch). Museum Tinguely undertakes no liability for third party claims arising from infringement of copyright and personality rights.


<< | >>

Jean Tinguely


Le Cyclop - La Tête

Model
1970

Material / technique: Wire, scrap iron, plaster bandages, paint
Size: 82 x 77 x 47 cm
Inv.Number: 11226
Catalog: Bischofberger 1157
Creditline: Museum Tinguely, Basel, Donation Niki de Saint Phalle

In 1969 Jean Tinguely had the opportunity to realise his dream of a gigantic walk-in culture station. Texas collectors Jean and Dominique de Menil had purchased a plot of land near Milly-la-Forêt, south of Paris, and put it at Tinguely’s disposal. Together with his artist friends, primarily Bernhard Luginbühl and Niki de Saint Phalle, Tinguely began in 1969/70 to build a mammoth structure.