Collection
Museum Tinguely

Collection of Museum Tinguely

Works and work groups belonging to all phases of Jean Tinguely’s career are to be found in the museum's collection. Along with selected temporary loans, they afford the visitor an extensive view of the artist’s career. Apart from sculptures, the collection furthermore comprises a large number of drawings and letter-drawings, documents, exhibition posters, catalogues and documentation such as photographs. In the measure of the possible all the exhibits are accessible to the public and regularly shown, be it in the permanent collection or as loans to exhibitions worldwide.

The museum’s collections are the result of a generous donation by the artist’s widow, Niki de Saint Phalle, made on the occasion of its foundation, a donation of works from the Roche collection, as well as several other gifts and acquisitions.

>> Biography of Jean Tinguely

>> History of the collection

 

 

Online collection


<< | >>

Jean Tinguely


Char MK

1966/67

Material / technique: Metal, wagon and other metal and wooden wheels, wooden panel, V-belts, electric motor, all painted black
Size: 100 x 280 x 80 cm
Inv.Number: 11216
Catalog: Bischofberger 1152
Creditline: Museum Tinguely, Basel, Donation Niki de Saint Phalle

The artist further developed his work with controlled mechanical movements in the “Chars” series, pieces that aimlessly drive back and forth on rails. These works possess anthropomorphic traits, including large iron pipes moving back and forth that also give them an ironic and sexual nature. Other “Chars” are named “Hannibal“ and “Sisyphus“, alluding to what are ultimately the absolutely pointless movements of the sculptures, limited as they are to a few metres.