Collection
Museum Tinguely

Collection of Museum Tinguely

Works and work groups belonging to all phases of Jean Tinguely’s career are to be found in the museum's collection. Along with selected temporary loans, they afford the visitor an extensive view of the artist’s career. Apart from sculptures, the collection furthermore comprises a large number of drawings and letter-drawings, documents, exhibition posters, catalogues and documentation such as photographs. In the measure of the possible all the exhibits are accessible to the public and regularly shown, be it in the permanent collection or as loans to exhibitions worldwide.

The museum’s collections are the result of a generous donation by the artist’s widow, Niki de Saint Phalle, made on the occasion of its foundation, a donation of works from the Roche collection, as well as several other gifts and acquisitions.

>> Biography of Jean Tinguely

>> History of the collection

 

 

Online collection


<< | >>

Jean Tinguely


Dernière Collaboration avec Yves Klein

1988

Material / technique: Iron, plastics, foams, mirrors, wooden wheels, electric motor
Size: 495 x 1101 x 406 cm
Inv.Number: 11311
Catalog: Bischofberger 0805
Creditline: Museum Tinguely, Basel, Donation Niki de Saint Phalle

“Dernière Collaboration avec Yves Klein” was exhibited for the first time in 1988 in the large-scale Tinguely retrospective at Centre Georges Pompidou. This homage to his artist friend, who had died in 1962, takes up some of the elements that figured in their intensive period of collaboration – and refers vividly to the work of Yves le Monochrome. The three basic colours blue, gold and pink are hence in evidence here, and above all, the mirrors affixed behind the pieces lend the large machine-sculpture an indeterminate depth, emphasising the transparency but also the fact that the viewer can sometimes feel like part of the machine.